Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Night With Jean Paul Gaultier


Jean Paul Gaultier Exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art

I had the privilege of attending a private event at the Dallas Museum of Art, which is currently showcasing beautiful collections by Jean Paul Gaultier. After tasting a few hor d'oeuvres and sipping on a beverage or two, I made my way in to the exhibit that has been buzzed about so much around this city. In the first room, visitors are greeted with, The Odyssey, which is filled with virgins, mermaids, and sailors and a talking (mannequin) Jean Paul Gaultier. My favorite piece of the entire exhibit stands in this room-- the sailor inspired gown. Gaultier turned a simple fabric and pattern into something amazing by adding a touch of feathers at the skirt. Apparently, Jean Paul Gaultier loves the idea of sailors so much, because "life on the sea can give you dreams." I love this idea and the amount of creativity and inspiration that comes with the thought. (So, JPG, if you would like to let me borrow that gown for my next formal event, I wouldn't mind at all).
After obsessing over the sailors, I continued my journey into the life of Jean Paul Gaultier as I wandered through the Boudoir, Skin Deep, Punk Cancan, Urban Jungle, and Metropolis. I become more and more fascinated and in love with the collections as I made my way through the whole exhibit. His work is amazing. The way he creates clothes to rid gender lines and the power he gives to femininity through his lingerie pieces are incredible. Walking through the exhibit one time wasn't nearly enough, so Jean Paul, we will be meeting again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment